Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Cinematheque Reviews: You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger (+ A Bonus Best Of Woody List)

Over at The Cinematheque I have posted my review(?) of Woody Allen's 41st directorial effort, You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger.  The reason for the parenthetical question mark is that it really isn't much of a review of said 41st film.  550 words in and I had yet to even name the film I was supposedly reviewing - instead opting to go through a multi-paragraph essay concerning the four stages of Allen's rather long oeuvre.  After all, Stranger isn't all that memorable of a movie - neither good nor bad - so what can really be said?  Anyway, one can read said "review" (or whatever one wants to call it) over at the main site.


And, as an added bonus, since my review of sorts is more about his career as a whole than any individual film (and the fact that I am a list-oholic!), here is a list of my 20 favourite Woodys.

1. Annie Hall
2. Manhattan
3. Hannah & Her Sisters
4. Stardust Memories
5. Crimes & Misdemeanors
6. Interiors
7. Radio Days
8. Sleeper
9. The Purple Rose of Cairo
10. Husbands & Wives
11. Broadway Danny Rose
12. Vicky Cristina Barcelona
13. Bullets Over Broadway
14. Deconstructing Harry
15. Zelig
16. New York Stories ["Oedipus Wrecks" segment] 
17. Celebrity
18. Another Woman
19. Sweet & Lowdown
20. Match Point

No comments: