Monday, July 19, 2010

Shutter Island
Reviewed at The Cinematheque (!?)

The reason for the parenthetical interrobang in the title of this post is because I am just now posting my review of Martin Scorsese's Shutter Island.  (the link to said review posting can be found at the end of my rambling)  

Although I had originally seen it waaaay back in late February (and wrote my review in early March) for some strange reason I never posted it.  I realize I was on a sabbatical of sorts during this time, but even once getting caught up on those lost reviews from that time period, I still missed posting this one - which is especially odd considering it was then, and still is, my favourite film of the year (so far!).  


I suppose this is as good a time as any, since Chris Nolan's Inception has just been released (and reviewed right here, one post down!) and both films deal with DiCaprio and some pretty weighty marital issues.

Sure, the film has its haters (or off-putters?) and I suppose they have their own personal reasons for such, but in this critic's (and, to get all my cards on the table, admitted Scorsese worshipper's) not-so-humble opinion, I would rank Shutter Island somewhere between Cape Fear (also oft-maligned) and Gangs of New York (again, oft-maligned in the Scorsese oeuvre). 

In fact, since I do love me a good list, here are my top Scorseses.

1. Taxi Driver
2. Raging Bull
3. Goodfellas
4. Mean Streets
5. King of Comedy
6. Cape Fear
7. Shutter Island
8. Gangs of New York
9. Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
10. Boxcar Bertha

I left out his docs/concert films and kept with the feature fiction thing.  I also left out New York, New York because I have only ever seen the film once and It was about twenty years ago (when I was but a young early twenty-something!) and I need to see it again to fairly judge its greatness.

Anyway, I suppose I am done rambling now and can finally leave you alone to peruse my aforementioned Shutter Island review (the link salivating for your click just below!) at your leisure.


No comments: