Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Best of the Decade: Year 2005

Welcome to Part VI of the Best of the Decade Project.  Each few days I will name my choices for the best films of each particular year in the aforementioned decade.  This will culminate just after the new year with my list of the 50 greatest films of the decade.  So without further ado I give you my top ten for the year 2005.  

1. Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee) 
2. The Wayward Cloud (Tsai Ming-liang) 
3. The New World (Terrence Malick)
4. A History of Violence (David Cronenberg)
5. Gabrielle (Patrice Chereau) 
6. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (Cristi Puiu)
7. Battle in Heaven (Carlos Reygadas) 
8. Three Times (Hou Hsiao-hsien)
9. The Proposition (John Hillcoat)
10. Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story (Michael Winterbottom) 

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Glad to see strong support for THE WAYWARD CLOUD - not to everyone's tastes by a long shot, but one of the bravest and most unique works of the decade.

Kevyn Knox said...

It's a film I like to show to all my friends. I love to watch their reactions to it as much as watching the film itself. Cannot wait to see Face.